The Angry Marines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Angry Marines official forum. A Warhammer 40k club based out of Sugar Land, Texas that is here to bring competition and camaraderie to the local 40k community.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BOLS-CON Thoughts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Zreggun

Zreggun

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-09

BOLS-CON Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: BOLS-CON Thoughts   BOLS-CON Thoughts EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 8:54 am

Well, I bought my ticket yesterday for BOLS-CON and I've been thinking about what to do for 2000 points of Imperial Guard. For those unaware, the BOLSCON folks are very particular about 40k rules, so they have their own FAQ/errata that over-writes the GW equivalents in order to make certain rules/units clearer to use. They also make a few changes just for a few certain things that the organizers consider "unfair" (aka Ork Deffrollas), but that's an entirely different story.

But here's what I have to keep in mind when putting my army together:

- 100% WYSIWYG : Counts-As is allowed but still has to use mainly GW products (no PVC drop-pods or RC-car Battlewagons). This means I need to have explicit models for everything I want to use. This shouldn't be a issue for me, but things could crop up.

- Models MUST be based properly : Skimmers MUST be based on flying bases at all times and non-vehicle models MUST be on the appropriate size of base. For models that have been put on different-sized bases as time has progressed must be put on the most recently available base. For me, this means that I have to re-base any IG heavy weapon teams that I bring to be on the huge 60mm base. Sad

- Painting counts for a decent chunk of the overall score : I'm going to be in trouble here, as there's no way I'm going to be 100% painted by late August. I think I'm just going to have to eat the 10-15% loss in overall score because of this. That means I can't win the tournament overall, but I can still win Best General if I win most/all of my games.

- Sportsmanship/theme also counts for a decent chunk of the overall score : This isn't as big an issue as I usually try to act as much like a gentleman as I can during tournaments. The theme score is only slightly limiting, and like sportsmanship is incredibly subjective. Some people may knock me down on theme JUST for playing IG since it's "the new thing" unless I bring clearly bad choices (like Ogryns, Stormtroopers, and Rough Riders). Hopefully if I avoid using Valkyries this won't be as big of an issue.

So onto my idea for a list:

I'm trying to keep this as competitive as I can without sacrificing theme. I don't have enough infantry modeled to ever hope for the "Guardsman Horde" style of IG army, so I'm going fully mechanized. That means I need a TON of transports, but since I don't want to play the "Valkyrie" card I'll have to stick with Chimeras. That's okay as I have 2 already and more are on their way in the mail, but I'll still likely have to borrow some. Tory, I'm looking at you. Very Happy Mechanized also means TANKS, but I don't want to go overboard. In 2000 points I'm expecting to see some IG players try to bring 6-7 Leman Russ chassis, but I think that's putting way too many points into Heavy Support. 4 is a good number, I think, and I also don't want to go with the more expensive ones, so basic Russes and a couple of Demolishers will have to do.

I'll still need more anti-horde, specifically something to combat mass infantry entrenched in cover (or Orks with a force field). That means Hellhounds or Banewolevs. Since I already have a pair modeled, I'll be going with Banewolves most likely. They have much less range than the Hellhound, but they can wound MEQ more easily. Plus I plan I getting in my enemy's grill anyhow, so at the worst the fast little tanks should act as a nice diversion to keep anti-vehicle fire off of my big tanks and APCs.

List so far:

-= HQ =-

105 Company Command Squad (50) w/ Company Standard (15)
+ Grenade Launcher x2 (10) + Master of the Fleet (30)

65 Chimera Transport (55) w/ Multilaser + Hull Heavy Bolter
+ Pintle Heavy Stubber (10)

-= Troops =-

145 Veterans (70) w/ Shotguns + Power Fist (15) + Meltagun x3 (30)
+ Demolitions (30)

55 Chimera Transport (55) w/ Multilaser + Hull Heavy Flamer

145 Veterans (70) w/ Shotguns + Power Fist (15) + Meltagun x3 (30)
+ Demolitions (30)

55 Chimera Transport (55) w/ Multilaser + Hull Heavy Flamer

150 Veterans (70) w/ Plasma Pistol (15) + Power Sword (10)
+ Plasma Gun x3 (45) + Autocannon (10)

150 Veterans (70) w/ Plasma Pistol (15) + Power Sword (10)
+ Plasma Gun x3 (45) + Autocannon (10)

-= Fast Attack =-

150 Banewolf (130) w/ Hull Multimelta (15) + Smoke Launchers (5)

-= Heavy Support =-

340 Battle Tank x2 (300) w/ Hull Heavy Bolter x2
+ Sponson Heavy Bolters x2 (40)

180 Demolisher Tank (165) w/ Hull Lascannon (15)

Total: 2000

To sum up that's:

- 5 Chimera APCs (12/10/10)
- 2 Banewolves (12/12/10)
- 2 basic Russes (14/13/10)
- 2 Demolishers (14/13/11)
- 1 generic HQ w/ anti-outflank advisor
- 2 anti-horde/anti-vehicle troops
- 2 anti-MEQ/anti-light-vehicle troops

Thoughts and suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

BOLS-CON Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOLS-CON Thoughts   BOLS-CON Thoughts EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 2:41 pm

After some shower-thinking (I do my best brain-storming during my morning shower) I decided that I might want to drop some wargear off of some of the units in order to fit more in. I also wanted to get Dozer Blades on some of my transports as I've learned from experience that Dangerous Terrain tests are the Devil, especially when you're using more than a half-a-dozen vehicles.

As far as how much work I'll need to do get this army finished; I'll need to make 6 more shotgun-toting vets, 1 Chimera (unless I can't borrow any from Tory), 1 Battle Tank, and 1 Demolisher Tank. I've got all the supplies I need, so once I finish my current round of painting I'll switch to build-mode again. Hopefully I can get most/all of the vehicles I want to use as least primed and dry-brushed for the tournament. I'd also like to get my HQ and Marbo-clone painted, which I'll be working on next week.

New list:

-= HQ =-

130 Company Command Squad (50) w/ Plasma Pistol (15) + Power Sword (10) + Company Standard (15) + Flamer x2 (10) + Master of the Fleet (30)

65 Chimera Transport (55) w/ Multilaser + Hull Heavy Flamer + Dozer Blades (10)

-= Elites =-

65 Guardsman Marbo

-= Troops =-

115 Veterans (70) w/ Shotguns + Power Fist (15) + Meltagun x3 (30)

115 Veterans (70) w/ Shotguns + Power Fist (15) + Meltagun x3 (30)

125 Veterans (70) w/ Plasma Gun x3 (45) + Autocannon (10)

65 Chimera Transport (55) w/ Multilaser + Hull Heavy Bolter + Pintle Heavy Stubber (10)

125 Veterans (70) w/ Plasma Gun x3 (45) + Autocannon (10)

65 Chimera Transport (55) w/ Multilaser + Hull Heavy Bolter + Pintle Heavy Stubber (10)

-= Fast Attack =-

-= Heavy Support =-

340 Battle Tank x2 (300) w/ Hull Heavy Bolter x2 + Sponson Heavy Bolters x2 (40)

Total: 2000
Back to top Go down
David
Admin
David

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-02-08

BOLS-CON Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOLS-CON Thoughts   BOLS-CON Thoughts EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 10:09 pm

I would love to get in some test games against this army. I fear it may suffer from having a low body count by guard standards which simultaneously may limit your anti-horde ability.

I wonder how you will perform against full mech marines and mech eldar due to the limited long range anti tank.

Of course im naturally only going to point out things I dont like, because I also feel that mech guard are the better option out of the book.
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

BOLS-CON Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOLS-CON Thoughts   BOLS-CON Thoughts EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 11:07 pm

Fully mech Marines and Eldar are only using AV 11 or AV 12 transports, and each Chimera has a S6 Heavy 3 main gun. Just my transports alone should be able to take out (immobilize or worse) an enemy transport a turn, not to mention the 4 bigger tanks and the 2 Autocannons.

The weakness of the army IS hordes, but even then it's not that bad as long as I can get in two full rounds of shooting. I'm not expecting to see many 120+ model armies at the tournament, and out of the ones that we will see, most of them will be Orks, and I have A LOT of experience on how to deal with those. Besides, between the 4 big tanks and a number of flame template weapons here and there I don't think there's much else I could bring that really thins out hordes. Even artillery is stopped by Kustom Force Fields (save the Colossus, but screw that noise).

Besides, I'm not bringing the army because I think it's the best of the best. If I wanted that I would have made a Black Templar re-roll horde-o-doom long ago and been done with it. I want to bring this army because I always, and always will, LOVE tanks. I want to bring as many as I can without sacrificing playability, and even in 2000 points I think bringing more than 4-5 Leman Russ variants is overkill. But you can never have enough Chimeras...
Back to top Go down
Nick
Adeptus Mechanicus (Web Master)
Nick

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2009-02-08

BOLS-CON Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOLS-CON Thoughts   BOLS-CON Thoughts EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 7:54 am

New IG codex rapes everything, no room for debate, go paint some models instead
Back to top Go down
http://www.storm-reavers.net
Sponsored content

BOLS-CON Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOLS-CON Thoughts   BOLS-CON Thoughts Empty

Back to top Go down

BOLS-CON Thoughts
Page 1 of 1