The Angry Marines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Angry Marines official forum. A Warhammer 40k club based out of Sugar Land, Texas that is here to bring competition and camaraderie to the local 40k community.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Name Change

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
thedenver(admin)
Admin
thedenver(admin)

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-02-02

Name Change Empty
PostSubject: Name Change   Name Change EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 10:11 pm

OK so the possibility of a name change has come up due to a legal and originality issue. With the angry marines, we still have S.L.A.M. (Sugar Land Angry Marines). So if we can keep a nice acronym going, that would be the best. If you have any questions on this or would like to suggest a new name, please reply.
Back to top Go down
http://theangrymarines.com
spacewolflars

spacewolflars

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Name Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Change   Name Change EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 12:25 pm

As far as the question of legality, would we have to worry beyond anyone but Games Workshop? And wouldn't that be the case no matter what name we choose as long as the name had something to do with Warhammer.
Back to top Go down
thedenver(admin)
Admin
thedenver(admin)

Name Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Change   Name Change EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 9:59 pm

well thats really what im asking. im just looking at our possibilities here.
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Name Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Change   Name Change EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 7:27 am

I still don't see how this is a legal issue. 4chan hasn't ever copy-righted anything on their forums (since it usually disappears after a few days, anyhow) so is the issue with the fact that we have artwork in our title that isn't more than 50% original work?

I mean, the term "Angry Marines" is in no way copy-righted.
Back to top Go down
thedenver(admin)
Admin
thedenver(admin)

Name Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Change   Name Change EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 8:04 pm

i want to keep the name but like you said, the logo is the biggest issue. we need to work on an angry face that we can call ours.
Back to top Go down
Nick
Adeptus Mechanicus (Web Master)
Nick

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Name Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Change   Name Change EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 8:51 pm

*sigh* We had this exact talk a month ago.

Angry Marines isn't anything that belongs to anyone. It's a cultural and artistic parody from a huge internet forum that's characterized by people posting anonymously. No one own the copyright to it, no one claims credit for the idea. It's just a really liked in-joke or side-joke for a lot of us who have been active at both 40k and internet stuff for a while (4chan, SA, etc.). New art constantly gets put on 4chan before fading as new stuff is posted. Just as the artists who draw angry marines (who all do it differently, and by the way call themselves 'drawfags') are doing a harmless and creative parody of the hobby/copyright, we're going a step further and making a parody of the angry marines now that that the joke has grown big enough to be worth the reference. As far as I know we're the only/the first people to have had the idea to call our gaming group this, and definitely the first in Texas.

The only people we'd have to remotely worry about is GW since they own the space marine IP (armor and such), but even then

a) it's extremely unlikely that they would disapprove much less do anything since they pour a lot of ad money and manpower into growing the customer base and small clubs (heck look at Austin prize support), as even our local store manager has said (he said just to call and ask someone at GW to be 110% sure) and

b) even copyright is not sacrosanct, as comedic/political/theatrical/etc. parody is legal under the law. That's why you see newspaper cartoons or t-shirts or products (many of which even produce revenue) being sold as long as they are obviously a parody instead of an imitation product.

FYI the angry face that you see there is not some sort of universal logo for the angry marines on 4chan or anything. You are misinformed if you think that. Every artist or whatever comes up with something different- it's just generally some sort of frowning or unhappy face. I only made it look like a logo with some cutting and some photoshop work. That exact face only appears on a part of the armor of 1 dreadnaught in 1 picture out of the mannnyyyyy little angry marine joke sketches and pictures that different people have drawn. It's not even supposed to be flat....it was originally slanted in the picture and I made it look more 2d.

I never even thought of the S.L.A.M. thing but think it's a really clever idea. I like having the name Sugar Land in our official title somewhere anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.storm-reavers.net
Zreggun

Zreggun

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Name Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Change   Name Change EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 9:35 am

What Nick said. There's no legal reason for us to change our name/logo/theme/mascot.

I like the SLAM acronym as well, but there's no reason to change things up, just add to them.
Back to top Go down
thedenver(admin)
Admin
thedenver(admin)

Name Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Change   Name Change EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 12:08 am

ok then i think the next step is to get an official logo. what do we got? lol i like a simple angry face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Name Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name Change   Name Change Empty

Back to top Go down

Name Change
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Angry Marines :: The Club-
Jump to: