The Angry Marines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Angry Marines official forum. A Warhammer 40k club based out of Sugar Land, Texas that is here to bring competition and camaraderie to the local 40k community.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
For Dorn!

For Dorn!

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 10:23 am

Me and Denver where talking about playing an apoc game in two weeks, which puts it on Saturday March 14 (Steak and BJ Day).

Anybody else wanna join in?
Back to top Go down
http://fordorn.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 7:40 pm

dang, what a day to play on. haha
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 10:17 pm

Wait, why is March 14th "Steak and BJ" day? Am I missing out on some great national holiday here?

Anyhow, I'd be up for an Apoc game IF and ONLY IF:

A) We pick teams and EXACT points limits ahead of time to reduce game-day list shuffling and having to hand out "extra" strategic assets to one side that's lower on points.

B) We limit the use of super-heavy vehicles, Apoc formations, and strategic assets. I'm not sure how, but SOME limitations have to be put in place to prevent people from bringing 20 Daemonhunter Orbital Bombardments and/or an Ork Pulsa Rokkit. Maybe limit it to ONE super-heavy OR Formation per 3000 points per side and the number of super-heavies/formations per side must be equal.

C) Only TROOPS can hold objectives. That way people don't bring ONLY tanks and termies. APOC =/= armoured companies only. It's supposed to be about one huge (but otherwise normally constructed) force versus another, and co-operative teamplay.

D) No strategic asset can be taken more than once per SIDE and certain assets are dis-allowed unless "bought" via a formation (aka Orbital Bombardment, Scheduled Bombardment, Strategic Raids, etc).

E) No super-heavy fliers. Period.

F) No proxy models. If you don't own the model, don't try to play it in APOC. There's SOOO much stuff on the table that it gets really hard to remember that your Chimera is actually a Hellhound and that that normal Leman Russ is actually a Vanquisher varient. This is especially important for Land Raider varients.** This extends to strategic assets. Your pile of barrels is NOT a force field generator. That tree is NOT a chapter relic.

** Units that don't currently have an official model can be exempt from this. AKA Flash Gitz, Looted Wagons, Ironclad Dreads, etc. As long as the model being used makes sense. For example: Your Flash Gitz actually have big gunz modeled on them. Your Ironclad actually has two CCWs.

Sorry if all that sounds really harsh, but I've played way too many "bad" apoc games. It's really easy to screw people over in apoc and ruin the game for everyone unless you enforce your own stricter house rules for certain things. The apoc rulebook was written as a loose guide, not a bible, and the point of the game ISN'T to bring the most rediculously overpowered Uber Combo of Doom to the table just to laugh as it single-handedly tables your opponent. It's about having a set of general rules that allow you to play coop games in a friendly environment where you can also bring most/all of your model collection that doesn't always make it into your day-to-day games.

Peace
Back to top Go down
For Dorn!

For Dorn!

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 12:39 pm

Zreggun wrote:
Wait, why is March 14th "Steak and BJ" day? Am I missing out on some great national holiday here?

Steak and BJ day website.

I hear what you are saying Zreggun and agree with you.

You are one step ahead of me with your post. First I was gonna check to see if there was any interest, then go about setting up a game with set players, points etc. Have the whole game planned out, so all we have to do is show up, set up the table and play.

I'll write more on this in a few....
Back to top Go down
For Dorn!

For Dorn!

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 7:54 am

Hows this look?

• 9k per side.

• 3 Super heavies max per side.

• Troops are the only scoring units.

• No proxy models (unless proxy model is made for the soul purpose of being said model)

• No strategic asset can be taken more than once per SIDE and certain assets are dis-allowed unless "bought" via a formation (aka Orbital Bombardment, Scheduled Bombardment, Strategic Raids, etc).

c/c?
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 2:18 pm

That's pretty good, although APOC formations should probably be added in along with the "3 super-heavies per side" comment. As in: "3 super-heavies OR Apocalypse Formations per side". The reasoning for this is that several APOC formations add "free" strategic assets to a side and/or take "normal" units and elevate them to "incredibad" status. AKA Shock Attack Gun Batteries, Obliterator Cults, Leman Russ Company, etc.

The real question is: Can we find 6 people that want to play?

I'd be okay with 2 vs 2, frankly, but I don't know of anyone other than you who has their own super-heavies, Tory.
Back to top Go down
David
Admin
David

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 9:39 pm

I'm willing to play and can field the necessary points number for a 3x3 with I think all my armies, and can do enough for a 2v2 with Space Marines/Blood Angels.

And we do need to make sure we match up the superheavies such that one side does not have more than 1 more superheavy than the other, so that its not too unbalanced. Unless the formation a person brings happens to be awesome enough to count as a superheavy equivalent
Back to top Go down
For Dorn!

For Dorn!

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 1:29 pm

On the Super Heavies,

How about an equal amount of super heavies on both sides unless we deem a apoc formation to equal that of a super heavy?

Also, I don't care if we don't use any super heavies at all.

I'm just looking to have a fun game, not a competition type game. So, as long as the armies are fairly equal then all is good to me.

Also, if we start to play apoc games more often, we can make house rules, scenario etc as we see fit, to make it fun as apposed to a competition.

I can field 3k of Guard or Marines, and some where between 2 and 3k of Chaos Marines.

So I can go to either side as needed.

Also I have 1 Baneblade and 1 more Super Heavy tank I'm getting this Saturday (not sure what I'm going to make the second one yet though). So once built I can either have two to use, or put one on both sides or not use any at all.
Back to top Go down
zannal

zannal

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: I'll be in town   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 2:46 pm

Hay I'm Daniel and I knew Colby and Nick when they were in Austin.
I'll be in Houston (I'm from the Sharpstown area right by HW 59) for the spring break (13-22 for me) and I could participate in the apoc game if you need a 6th man. I've got Tau, Space Marines and Orks and no super heavies.
Back to top Go down
For Dorn!

For Dorn!

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 8:52 am

Hi Daniel,

I'm Tory, just one of the guys that plays at the local GW here in Sugarland. You are more then welcome to join us in the game. Atm thou, I'm unclear of how many players we are going to have. But bring 3k of any army you want, you got one of the 6 spots.

So far I believe we have:

1. Tory, Space Marines
  2. Colby, Orks
  3. Denver, Space Marines
  4. David, ?
  5. Daniel, ?
  6. Empty

Let me know if this is correct, thanks all

Last edited by For Dorn! on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
David
Admin
David

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 11:11 am

It looks like I'll be needed to go "bad guys" for this one so I'll be using Chaos Space marines Tory.
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 12:35 pm

I wonder if I can get Mike/Tim/Brad to let me use the Stompa for this... hmmm...

If not, I could also go 1v3 and use the Pulsa Rokkit.... Yay for suppressing your entire opponent's army with a single unit?
Back to top Go down
For Dorn!

For Dorn!

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 3:08 pm

K, got ya down for Chaos Space Marines David.

1. Tory, Space Marines
  2. Colby, Orks
  3. Denver, Space Marines
  4. David, Chaos Space Marines
  5. Daniel, ?
  6. Empty

Colby, I'm sure GW would have no problem with letting you use the stompa, just ask ahead of time to make sure would be my advices.
Back to top Go down
thedenver(admin)
Admin
thedenver(admin)

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 7:21 pm

im wondering if i have enough points...
Back to top Go down
http://theangrymarines.com
zannal

zannal

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 9:45 pm

What time around would this start? I have a friend who gets off work in the late afternoon and he may be interested.
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 8:53 am

If we intend to finish 4-5 turns in an APOC game then we really need to get started around 1-2 pm on Saturday as we'll need about 6 hours to get setup and play the game (at about 1 hour per full turn).

We need to let the store know today though, since we're gonna need to put two tables together (and perhaps use some of their super-heavies). Of course, if no one brings any super-heavies at all, that's fine by me. I'm pretty sure Tory is the only one that owns Super-heavies right now, anyhow.
Back to top Go down
For Dorn!

For Dorn!

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 2:22 pm

I'll go to the store right now and see if we can use two tables.

As for time lets start at 1pm.

They open at noon, so that will give us time to get the tables together, and set up the terrain if, Pick sides etc (assuming both team captains are there). Then if everybody is there start deploying armies, if not then we wait until 1pm for everybody and start deploying then.

Sound good?

I'll also ask about the Stompa, if we can use it then I say we do. That think is crazy fun to see in action, even if I'm on the receiving end.

Last edited by For Dorn! on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added comment about stompa)
Back to top Go down
For Dorn!

For Dorn!

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 5:46 pm

K, went to store to check on the tables and super heavies, but David beat me to it.

We can have the tables if we can get the tables, and we are granted permission to use the stores super heavies.
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Alright, 3000 points ready to go. I'll be there before 1pm to try and grab the tables and start setting up.
Back to top Go down
zannal

zannal

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 10:04 pm

I'll be there around 1ish with my orks and space marines, willing to play ether if I need to.
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 10:20 pm

You'll prolly be on the Imperium side, Daniel, as I'm not sure if Denver can make it.
Back to top Go down
zannal

zannal

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 10:40 pm

Sounds good, the Executioners space marine chapter will be there to redeem them selves.
Back to top Go down
For Dorn!

For Dorn!

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 10:42 pm

Cool, see ya guys tomorrow Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?   Anybody down for an Apocalypse game? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody down for an Apocalypse game?
Page 1 of 1