The Angry Marines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Angry Marines official forum. A Warhammer 40k club based out of Sugar Land, Texas that is here to bring competition and camaraderie to the local 40k community.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime

Go down 
+8
Nick
Wallweasels
Zreggun
thedenver(admin)
ShadowPanther
spacewolflars
For Dorn!
Angelofblades
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Angelofblades

Angelofblades

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 1:56 pm

Zreggun wrote:
I can't speak for the other "races", but I think the Ork max attributes need a little tweaking. Suggestions in Red:

Orks:
WS: 8
BS: 3 (What? Super-awesome leader Orkz can't EVER get better at shooting?)
No Colby, if Ghazgkull is 2, Ork's are going to remain at 2 Very Happy
S: 7
T: 6
I: 4 (Ork Warbosses are I4 base. Weirdboyz and Big Mekz start at 3 and should be able to at least match a Warboss given enough experience)
A: 6
W: 5 (Actually, I think the max for any race should be 5 or less. We don't want every Avatar to be a 25mm-base Carnifex. Shocked )
Ld: 10

EDIT: Also, why do Tau get a higher max S and T characteristic than Space Marines? I know the suits start at S4, T4, but so do Space Marines....

I like all the other suggestions, I think I got a little overboard with the Tau, I'll bump them down
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 2:19 pm

Okay, fine. No BS Shock-Attack Gun Big Mekz w/ Quickdraw and Relentless then... Sad

Heh... Not that I'd do that anyhow...

Also, chances are by the time we get this up and running we'll be in May. I'd plan to accommodate the new Guard codex. That is, the Guard HQs are:

Company Commander - "Standard" Guard HQ that issues orders to infantry units and can take pretty much any equipment in the Guard arsenal. Not an IC anymore and comes with 4 Veterans who have the option to take all sorts of gear, CQC and shooty. Maybe Combat, Shooting, and Stealth (represents tricky tactics) as his skill trees?

Commissar Lord - Fearless high-LD Super-Commissar IC that is suited to "leading from the front". Can't issue orders and can't have a retinue or shooty gear, and is thus better suited to assaulty Guard armies. Maybe Agility, Combat, and Strength as his skill trees since he's the "CQC" based Guard HQ? Plus this allows for Commissar Yarrick clones (FNP, Eternal Warrior, etc).

Primaris Psyker - Technical, shooty Guard HQ IC with two psychic powers, a shooting attack and Nightshroud, which forces any unit wanting to shoot at Psyker or his unit to first pass a Leadership test. Maybe Combat, Tech, and Shooting as his skill trees? He DOES have a Force Weapon, so CQC can't be entirely ruled out for him.
Back to top Go down
Angelofblades

Angelofblades

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Zreggun wrote:

Also, chances are by the time we get this up and running we'll be in May. I'd plan to accommodate the new Guard codex.

I have decreed that the first games shall be played by May 18. BUT, we will be holding pre-campaign set up which includes the following:

Pick Teams
1750 Roster
Filled out Roster Sheet
Pick General
Skill choices/ rolls
General movement.
and everything else that doesn't pertain to the first game.

UPDATED:
Skill tree choices now include IG and SoB
General Rules have been updated as well
Campaign Map Abilities (Generals only).

Avatars will spend Experience points for every piece of equipment you buy for them at the beginning of the campaign, remove, change or add throughout the campaign.

It will cost Avatars, Triple the points cost of the item in experience points.
It will cost Avatars 100 points of experience to in addition to change an item.

Generals:

Generals are able to impart their knowledge to their Lieutenant's as long as they are willing. Generals may give up to 500 points of experience per subordinate.

Generals cannot sap experience from their Lieutenants or personal Army.

Lieutenants:

Lieutenants are also able to hand down experience to their troops, but they are also able to sap experience from their personal army. No more than a total of 250 experience points can be sapped from the entire army.

Politics / Mutiny:
Call it what you want, but if a Lieutenant ends up with more experience than the General, bad things sometime happen. Your right to lead as General may be in question if your Subordinates get better than you. In some cases, it may lead to an outright duel. Finding the balance between staying ahead in the experience race, while keeping your men well experience is key to staying as the leader.
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 8:08 pm

Quote :
IG:
Company Commander: Agility, Combat, Shooting, Stealth
Commissar Lord: Combat, Strength, Shooting
Primaris Psyker: Tech, Shooting, Agility

This is sort of re-iterating my original IG suggestions, but whatever:

- IG Company Commanders are not Independant Characters, they're just part of a 5-man squad. Thus, the Agility skill tree is pretty much useless for them unless each bonus affects the entire command squad.

- IG Commissar Lords are most CQC Independant Characters with no shooting wargear other than Bolt and Plasma Pistols. Why give them access to the Shooting skill tree when they could actually make good use of the Agility skill tree that the Company Commander can't use?

- Primaris Psykers will almost always be in a counter-assault or shooty unit, and thus gain no benefit from the Agility skill tree. They could, however, gain some benefit from the Combat tree if someone actually wanted to make use of their Force Weapon.
Back to top Go down
Angelofblades

Angelofblades

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 7:06 am

Allright allright Coldy, I'll give it to ya.

Updated:

Landmarks:

Without a map, this may make little sense.

Hydroponics / Water Farm : Generates 500 army points.
Repair Stations: Generates 2 movement points
Hive City Angrius: Generates 1000 army points and 2 movement points - Order supporters
Hive City Malicious: Generates 750 army points and 3 movement points - Disorder supporters
Hive City Tempestus: Grants double experience to all battles fought in its vicinity - Undecided
Starport of Annoyance: Generates 5 movement points
Manufactorium of Hate: Generates 2000 army points
Refinery of Pain: Generates 1500 army points.
Relics: Randomly determined Apocalypse strategic asset. (useable only in Apocalypse ofcourse)
Back to top Go down
Wallweasels

Wallweasels

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 10:28 pm

may I suggest a "Psyker" character advancement, it could add some interesting stuff just to bump up their general power or etc.
Means Sorcerers, Inquisitors, Farseers, Librarians, Wierdboyz, etc would all have something unique to their own.
Personally, I am all in favor for each armies General/Lt having their own "special" advancements unique to their army (or possibly faction, for some of the marine chapters). >_>

My only beef (as I chatted with Dave about this a couple days ago) is that some squads are never going to level, ever, just purely by how the squad functions or is run. Dave's example being Sternguard, they WILL die, but they will be the mvp. Adding points for the squad (like what 23 each?), any special weapons, sargeant weapons etc, the squad can easily lose any, if not all, experience it may win in a game.

The only thing I can suggest is squads are incapable of losing experience they already gained in previous battles, from upkeep costs. So if you had 100 xp from previous games, gained 200 in a battle but lost 300 from upkeep, you would still have 100 from your previous games. Maybe, at worst, you loose up to 50% of your previous XP (meaning in this example you would have 50 xp left over). Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Angelofblades

Angelofblades

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 9:13 am

Wallweasels wrote:
may I suggest a "Psyker" character advancement, it could add some interesting stuff just to bump up their general power or etc.
Means Sorcerers, Inquisitors, Farseers, Librarians, Wierdboyz, etc would all have something unique to their own.

I tried to come up with things for psykers, but the problem is, keepign it as Skills and not turnign them into Psychic Powers, of which the individual codicies already give a selection of. Now if you have ideas, by all means, I'd love to hear them.

Personally, I am all in favor for each armies General/Lt having their own "special" advancements unique to their army (or possibly faction, for some of the marine chapters). >_>

That's not a bad idea, but as ofr ight now, I'm just tryign to set the basics down. So do expect that most people will turn otu the same. The differences lying in their own choice of avatar and the skills that they do choose. Again, I think that's an expansion that we can try tp incorporate next campaign. But for this one, I'd like not to make it too complicated, that way, we can see what works and what doesn't as it would be the first campaign we'd run for the club.

My only beef (as I chatted with Dave about this a couple days ago) is that some squads are never going to level, ever, just purely by how the squad functions or is run. Dave's example being Sternguard, they WILL die, but they will be the mvp. Adding points for the squad (like what 23 each?), any special weapons, sargeant weapons etc, the squad can easily lose any, if not all, experience it may win in a game.

Now, if I recall, I had mentioned to Dave, that squads only loose experience if the Avatar's choose to leech experience out of their men. Because otherwise, let's say Dave's Sterngaurd, particiapte, win, destroy a unit, and gain objective, that would bring them up to 500 exp, but they have to replace 7 members, which is 364 exp, they're left with 136 exp. Now if the unit is destroyed and Dave looses the next engagement, they only ever flush out in experience points. They don't loose exp, but don't gain. The unit would gain 50 for loosing, 150 for playing and maybe 100 for destroying a unit , thats 300 exp, but have to replace all members, thats's 520, well their total coemso ut to 0, nto a negative. Whatever experiecne you gained from the previous battle, stays with you.

The only thing I can suggest is squads are incapable of losing experience they already gained in previous battles, from upkeep costs. So if you had 100 xp from previous games, gained 200 in a battle but lost 300 from upkeep, you would still have 100 from your previous games. Maybe, at worst, you loose up to 50% of your previous XP (meaning in this example you would have 50 xp left over). Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 10:38 am

I'm cool with the modified experience system (no negative XP and such). It might take some play testing before we get things moving for real, but I think things are really shaping up, Jay.

My only concern is that XP gain is still too low for how many games we're expecting to play over the course of a campaign. As it stands I'm seeing an average unit gaining a level every 3-5 games unless they get really lucky and don't loose any models for several games. Perhaps upkeep should be 1.5x the cost of the model and 2x the cost of replaced wargear? Keeping a single unit alive game after game is going to be hard enough as it is, especially since once a unit levels up once it's going to become a huge fire magnet, especially if it rolls a particularly useful veteran skill.

In the best case scenario possible, a unit that kills several enemy units, holds an objective, gets MVP status, AND looses little to none of its own members can almost level up once per match. I suppose that's pretty good, but I think in reality we're going to see a lot of units gaining little to no XP per game because they either get totally wiped out or suffer so many losses that they just don't get any XP.

Of course, this is probably a good thing... Veteran units are only veterans because they got lucky and lived through a bunch of crap that should have killed them five times over in the first place. Smile

EDIT: Just thought of something...

How are dedicated transports handled in the XP system? Are they considered part of the unit so that XP is pooled between the vehicle and the infantry? Or are they their own unit as far as XP is concerned? The problem comes when we look at the diversity of dedicated transports. An Ork Trukk, a Wave Serpent, and a Land Raider are on totally different levels when it comes to usability, toughness, and lethality. Whereas the Ork Trukk is a cheap throw-away unit that almost always gets destroyed during the course of a battle, the Land Raider is a huge points sink that typically ends up turning the course of the battle if it gets taken out early in the fight.

The thing is, if an Ork unit looses a 40-point trukk, they get set back 80 XP. If a squad of Terminators looses their Land Raider, they're set back at least 500 XP.

But as dedicated transports can be used by other units than what they were bought for, perhaps they should have their own separate XP pool than the unit they were bought with. Or, perhaps they shouldn't benefit from the XP system at all? That way we don't have to worry about things like "Veteran" Drop Pods. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Angelofblades

Angelofblades

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 11:07 am

I've playtested the xp system against Dave, at 1250, when we played MEQ armies and had Russel and Peter test it with their hordeish armies at 1250 as well. On average, the winnign side was gaining twice as much xp as the losing side overall.

In reality, the system is set so that unit DON'T level off 1 fight. It's set so that they level off multiple battles. As you stated, they're veterans of countless battles, not a single battle.

Dedicated transports earn their own experience. Afterall, they have their own battle honors table, and don't share a battle honors table with the unit they carry. The fact that they are purchased as part of the unit has no bearing on their xp or ability to loose or gain xp.
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 11:58 am

Well, first campaigner to get a veteran Rhino, Drop Pod, Chimera, or Trukk gets a free drink on me. Very Happy

Wave Serpents, Devil Fish, and Land Raiders need not apply.
Back to top Go down
Angelofblades

Angelofblades

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 6:50 pm

Well, remember Colby, that depending on the slot the dedicated transport is bought for, will depend on the amount of levels it can achieve.

A Rhino can only reach Level 1, whereas a Land Raider that is bought as a Terminator transport, can hit level 3.
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:28 pm

I know. Even gaining a single level of experience is going to be quite a feat for any true dedicated transport that I've listed. Most of those types of vehicles rarely survive through an entire battle. Thus the offer.
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 10:12 pm

Couple of questions I've come up with whilst mucking about thinking about my avatar:

- How do avatar skills like Combat - Defensive Stance affect IG Company Commanders, who are not Independant Characters (aka they can't be singled out in combat, thus Def. Stance has no apparent effect). Since you pay 50 points for the base 5-man unit including the Commander, should we just create the special case where avatar skills affect the entire unit? Or should we just have the avatar re-roll if the new skill doesn't do anything for them?

- As sort of a sub-point, in some very rare instances, some possible avatars start with special rules that they can also gain through the skill trees. For example: All Space Wolves already have Counter-Attack; All Orks already have Furious Charge. If an avatar rolls one of these Special Rules when they already "naturally" have it, should they re-roll their skill?

- If I play using the new IG codex as my primary army, can I used an allied Inquisitor Lord as my avatar? That is; IG is the main army and has it's own non-avatar HQ, but my second HQ choice (who is also my avatar) is an allied Inquisitor from the Witch Hunter/ Daemon Hunter codices. The only other Inquisition unit in the army is an assassin.

- Inquisitors have Henchmen in their Retinue that permenantly increase their base stats, even if the Henchman giving the stat later dies. If we have an Inquisitor as an avatar, do we use the Inquisitor's pre-henchman or post-henchman stat-line for determining what the max stats the Inquisitor can have via leveling up?

For example, an Inquisitor Lord has base WS, BS, and I of 4. Thus via leveling up he should be able to raise all of these stats up 5. But the Inquisitor has Henchmen that can increase his WS, BS, and I by 1. So if I use these Henchmen, and I roll a +WS, +BS, or +I stat increase when I level up, do these stats go up? So, in other words, could the Inquisitor reach WS, BS, and I 6 (+1 for leveling up, +1 for Henchman). Or if I buy a Henchman does that mean that the Inquisitor's stats are already maxed and I'd re-roll if I got a +WS, etc result when I leveled up?

- Did we come to a decision about whether or not we can use Named/Special characters during the campaign? Especially FOC-altering ones and/or ones that dramatically change how the army they're in works (H'stan, Khan, Wazdakka, Snikrot, etc)? Last I heard is that we could use them, but them and any unit they were with didn't gain XP. I guess the idea is that they're pretty much as Veteran as is gets already?

I'm wondering about this especially, because the new IG codex has like a ba-jillion named characters, 5 of which are Snikrot/Telion-esque squad upgrade characters and one is even his own unit (Sly Marbo).
Back to top Go down
Nick
Adeptus Mechanicus (Web Master)
Nick

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 6:45 am

If I were there I would just grab Lysander, throw him into combat with a MC or a marine squad as much as I can, and watch him level up and MVP him and work the numbers.

2+/3+ 4 wound eternal warrior WS 6 infantry model with str 10 thunder hammer that forces your opponent to reroll all to hits and to wounds FTW Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.storm-reavers.net
Angelofblades

Angelofblades

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 7:06 am

@ Nick, I did say NO special characters allowed. No exceptions.

Zreggun wrote:

- How do avatar skills like Combat - Defensive Stance affect IG Company Commanders, who are not Independant Characters (aka they can't be singled out in combat, thus Def. Stance has no apparent effect). Since you pay 50 points for the base 5-man unit including the Commander, should we just create the special case where avatar skills affect the entire unit? Or should we just have the avatar re-roll if the new skill doesn't do anything for them?

I'll have to check on that, to see how I would rule that.

- As sort of a sub-point, in some very rare instances, some possible avatars start with special rules that they can also gain through the skill trees. For example: All Space Wolves already have Counter-Attack; All Orks already have Furious Charge. If an avatar rolls one of these Special Rules when they already "naturally" have it, should they re-roll their skill?

Yes, you would re-roll

- If I play using the new IG codex as my primary army, can I used an allied Inquisitor Lord as my avatar? That is; IG is the main army and has it's own non-avatar HQ, but my second HQ choice (who is also my avatar) is an allied Inquisitor from the Witch Hunter/ Daemon Hunter codices. The only other Inquisition unit in the army is an assassin.

I would allow this, but seeing as your are on the side of Disorder, I would need a very good fluff reason as to why an Inquisitor has turned tail

- Inquisitors have Henchmen in their Retinue that permenantly increase their base stats, even if the Henchman giving the stat later dies. If we have an Inquisitor as an avatar, do we use the Inquisitor's pre-henchman or post-henchman stat-line for determining what the max stats the Inquisitor can have via leveling up?

I would count that the same way as I do in the case of CSM's. You use pre-henchmen, just as chaos would use pre-mark for determining statline. Hence a Chaos lord w/ mark of nurgle and bike with max Toughness is at T 7.

- Did we come to a decision about whether or not we can use Named/Special characters during the campaign? Especially FOC-altering ones and/or ones that dramatically change how the army they're in works (H'stan, Khan, Wazdakka, Snikrot, etc)? Last I heard is that we could use them, but them and any unit they were with didn't gain XP. I guess the idea is that they're pretty much as Veteran as is gets already?

No named characters. No exceptions. I think I updated it on the rules

I'm wondering about this especially, because the new IG codex has like a ba-jillion named characters, 5 of which are Snikrot/Telion-esque squad upgrade characters and one is even his own unit (Sly Marbo).
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 8:37 am

Thanks for the response, Jay. That changes up a few of the ideas I had, but that's fine.

Quote :
I would allow this, but seeing as your are on the side of Disorder, I would need a very good fluff reason as to why an Inquisitor has turned tail

See: The Eisenhorn Trilogy, the Ravenor Trilogy, the Caiphus Cain series, the Gaunt's Ghosts series, and The Last Chancers series. All of these include examples of either mis-guided, radical, or rogue inquisitors. In fact, it seems that in the fluff for 40k there are many more examples of "bad" inquisitors than "good" inquisitors...

Quote :
No named characters. No exceptions.

So is Guardsman Marbo from the new IG codex a named character or just an elites choice that happens to have a name? He acts more like an Inquisitorial assassin than a Special Character...

Also, is the Tank Commander upgrade in the new IG codex technically a "Special Character"? I wouldn't think so, as he's basically just a 50-point upgrade to a single tank to make it BS4 and +1 armour penetration...
Back to top Go down
Angelofblades

Angelofblades

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 9:16 am

In truth, I have not read alot of the rumors for the IG codex. I understand that GW has been doing character attachments, such as Telion or Snikkrot to alot of the 5th ed Codecies. While in regular games, this is a great thing, it brings up the problem that waht a SC is, lies in a a grey area.

While they are not as powerful as HQ choice SC's, they do provide a bolster to your force that, otherwise would not be there, in combination to Avatars, I don't think it would be fair to some players. In the end I have to rule it as either yes or no to SC's as a whole.

Now note, that this is not set in stone, and I'm still considering it. In all honesty, I'm waiting for the IG codex to come out, until I make a final decision as to let character upgrades through.
Back to top Go down
Angelofblades

Angelofblades

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 11:16 am

UPDATE:

Based on playtesting; the following have been updated:

Death and Injury Table
Infantry Battle Honors
Added "Tactics," to the skills tables
Edited available skills to certain Avatars.
Edited some of the Skills on "Combat," and "Techno"
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 11:21 am

You want a copy of the new IG codex, Jay?

I will agree about GW's push to get people to use special characters. Especially since many of the new special characters exist solely to allow players to "buy back" certain army options and deployment methods that they used to have in older codixes, but lost due to the "dumbing down" of newer ones.

For example:

- Sgt. Harker, the Veteran squad upgrade leader, gives the unit Infiltrate, Stealth, and Move Through Cover, making up for the loss of the Light Infantry doctrine.

- Similarly, Captain Arahim is an upgrade for a Platoon Commander that forces all the units in his Platoon to Outflank, a doctrine that many Tallarn players used to have access to.

- Tank Commander Pask is a throw-back to the Armoured Company codex where tanks could be taken as HQs or Elites and be bought the "Tank Ace" skill which gave them BS4.

As far as the campaign goes though, it would be a shame to totally write off some of the cool tricks people can get using the "upgrade" characters found in the three most recent codices. I think a good compromise would be to allow all Named characters that are not an HQ choice into the campaign, given that the player comes up with appropriate fluff and/or models for their special character that fits in with their army. Also, any units with Named characters in them can't gain XP, as they already represent units that are above and beyond the "normal".

Basically this would stop people from bringing Ghazkhull Thraka and Lysander, but allow for Telion, Chronus, Snikrot, Sgt. Karker, Sgt. Bastonne, Sly Marbo, Tank Commanders, and so on.

Whatcha think?
Back to top Go down
Angelofblades

Angelofblades

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 9:10 am

Ok, so after much deliberation, I have decided that Non-Major special characters may be taken, but you are limited to one per game. Meaning, in a single battle, one a Space Marine player may not have Chronus and Telion. It is either one or the other. Now your overall Roster may support as many as you like, but you can only ever take one to a battle.

Games will be composed of the following Missions:

Stalemate Missions:
Occur when two Avatars go for the same unclaimed Territory:

Twin Peaks:
1. 12" Deployment zone
2. At the center of the Table, 12" from each other are two objective markers. Having a scoring unit controlling an objective marker earns that side an objective point. The first side with the most objective points or with 5 wins.
3. Draws are concluded by Kill Points.
4. You must hold an objective point - uncontested - at the beginning of your turn to earn an objective point.

Assasinate:
1. Table Quarter Deployment zones. Each side must remain 18" away from the other.
2. First side to Take down the enemy Avatar wins.
3. If no Avatar is present, then killing all enemy HQ choices suffices.

4. Sieze Ground - As rulebook

Attacker/ Defend:
These scenarios will take place if one side is attempting to sieze a Territory owned by the other side.
All these scenarios have the Defender going first.

Breakout:
1. Number the short board edges 1 and 2. The Attacker must split his force in two parts, one for each short board edge. Number these forces 1 and 2 to correspond with the short board edge.
2. The Attacker has two 12” deployment zones from each short board edge, numbered 1 and 2 respectively.
3. The Defender has a 12” x 36” rectangular deployment zone in the center of the board. 6” away from each long table edge, and 12” across.
4. The Attacker may not deploy any of his forces within 18” from the Defender.
5. The Defender must get as many units off the board as possible. If the Defender manages to get half or more of the units in their force off either short board edge, or up to 6” from the short table edge, he wins.
6. Line of Retreat: Attack units fall back normally. Defending units forced to fall back, do so towards the board center. Once they reach the board center, defending units automatically regroup regardless of remaining numbers, proximity of enemies or anything else!
7. Defender may have units that Deep Strike as reserves only. All other units are deployed on the table.
8. Defender goes first – roll for seize the initiative as normal

Annihilation:
1. Kill Points - As per Rule book
2. Dawn of War

Hold at All Costs:
1. Place an objective as close as possible to the center of the table
2. Defender deploys any of his Troops and Heavy Support within 12” of the objective. Defender does not have to deploy all these units, but at least 1 unit must be deployed.
3 The remaining units that the defender has not deployed, arrive on table, a la Daemons Style. The defender will have to pick the remaining half of his army that will arrive on Turn 1. The rest are kept in reserve.
3. Attackers forces come onto the table on Turn 1. Both sides may set up infiltrators.
4. Both sides still pick long table edges as normal.
5. Attackers first – roll for seize the initiative as normal
6. Winner is determined by controls the objective at the end of the game. The side with the most scoring units within 3" of the objective wins. Avatars count as scoring for this mission
7. Use Kill points to determine draws.

Last edited by Angelofblades on Sat May 16, 2009 1:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Peter

Peter

Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 8:42 pm

I should have fun with my guard when they sneak up behind your tansports with melta guns in hand. Also, I should have time to play the campaign while I am in the corrections officer academy. Very Happy

Last edited by Peter on Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 10:22 am

Few more pre-campaign suggestions to the skill trees:

(changes in red)

Quote :
Agility:
1. Hit & Run - Confers to unit.
2. Dodge - Opposing models suffer -1 to hit in close combat against model.
3. Leap - Model and attached unit gains D3" to charge range. (Otherwise it's useless for non-MC avatars, of which we have none of)
4. Fleet - Confers to all friendly units within 6".
5. Disarm - At the beginning of each round of combat, before blows are struck, nominate one model, on a 4+ that model looses any and all its weapons for that close combat round. It will count as if it has nothing in either hand. (For example: a Thunder hammer/ Storm shield terminator is nominated. It looses it THammer and SShield for one turn of combat and reverts to a 5+ invul save and base attacks.)
6. Second Wind - Model and attached unit may re-roll their Run roll once per game. (Again, this was useless to non-MC avatars; once per game stipulation fits in w/ "Second Wind" idea and keeps is from being overpowered)

Combat:
1. Inspired Hatred - Confers Preferred Enemy to model and all friendly units within 6".
2. Parry - 1A for enemy models in base to base contact
3. Haymaker - rolls of 6 To Wound in close combat count as Instant Death
4. Defensive Stance - Only one model per unit in close combat may attack a model with this skill.
5. Assault Stance - Model gains +1A for every model in base to base contact. (Just clarifying the text)
6. Counter-Attack - Confers to unit.

Strength:
1. Berserk Charge - Model Gains additional +D3 attacks on charge.
2. Staggering Blow - Models wounded, but not killed, in close combat by a model with this skill strike at I1 in the next combat phase.
3. Furious Charge - Confers to unit.
4. Deathstrike - A model with this skill suffers -1A, but any wounds caused count as Instant Death. (Edited to clarify that this ability negates Feel No Pain)

5. Hard to Kill - The first time per game that the model suffers a wound that causes Instant Death (after saves and any other special rules that may have prevented the wound), they take a single wound instead. This includes wounds inflicted by a Force Weapon. (Balanced to keep people from choosing this skill tree solely for the chance of getting this skill)

6. Too Stubborn to Die - Any time the model takes a wound (after saves) it may ignore the wound on a roll of a 5+, regardless of how the wound was caused. If the model has Feel no Pain they may choose to use that Special Rule or this one, but not both. (Balanced to not interfere with the Tech skill tree and be a little more unique)

Tech:
1. Medi-packs - Once per player turn, a friendly model within 6" of a model with medi-packs may ignore a failed save as long as the bearer is not Falling Back, in close combat, or Pinned. It may not be used against Instant Death or a close combat attack that ignores armor saves.
2. Medic - Model and any attached unit gain Feel No Pain. (Just clarifying the text)
3. Refractor Pack - A model with this can Re-roll its own failed Invulnerable saves.
4. Armorer - The model's armor save is improved by 1+, to a maximum of 2+.
5. Triangulator - Units in the Avatar's army that Deep Strike do not scatter as long as the chosen entry point is visible to the Avatar. (Just clarifying the text)
6. Stealth field - Any enemy unit wishing to shoot at a model or their attached unit who has this ability rolls for Night Fight. (Just clarifying the text)

Shooting:
1. Marksman - A model with this skill may allocate any wounds caused via shooting. (Makes it more like Telion than a Vindicare, since Avatars still can't shoot into close combat, especially if they're part of a unit)

2. Trigger Happy - A model with this skill may fire two different weapons (or Psychic Shooting Attacks) during their shooting phase. If they only have one weapon/Psychic Shooting Attack (or wish to only fire one weapon/power) they may fire it twice. The model must still make a Psychic Test per Psychic Power that they use, and they and any attached unit may not charge into assault in the same turn that they use this skill. (Edited to clarify the text and make it a little more useful)

3. Right in the Sweet Spot - The model and any attached unit have the Tank Hunters special rule. Their shooting weapons also count as Twin-Linked against Monstrous Creatures. (Edited to be more useful; what HQ choices other than Tau have access to anti-vehicle weapons anyhow?)

4. Stick and Move - The model and any attached unit may use the Relentless special rule, but if they use any of the benefits of this rule they count as having -1 BS that turn. (Again, edited to be more useful for non-Tau avatars)

5. Sharpshooter - The model and any attached unit may force their target unit to re-roll successful cover saves. (Edited to be more useful; again, who other than Tau would this originally benefit?)

6. BOOM! Headshot! - Any rolls to wound of a 6 by the model in the shooting phase count as Instant Death. (Just edited to give it a cooler name and clarify the text)

Stealth:
1. Move Through Cover - confers to unit.
2. Stealth - confers to unit.
3. Scouts - confers to unit.
4. Infiltrate - confers to unit.
5. Gotcha! - A model and their attached unit may re-roll the dice for Sweeping Advance. (Edit to clarify the text and make it a little more useful)
6. Surprise! - Any army led by a model with this skill may start rolling reserves on Turn 1, but need a 5+ for their reserves to come in that turn. Reserve rolls made in later turns come in on the usual value (4+ for Turn 2, and so on). (Edited to clarify the rule)

Tactics:
1. Bolster Defenses
2. Forced March - Avatar may re-deploy D3 units before the game starts.
3. Hold the Line! - Friendly units within 12" of the avatar automatically pass all Pinning and Morale checks. (Edited to clarify the rule)
4. Tank Commander - Friendly vehicles within 12" of the avatar may ignore the first Crew Shaken or Crew Stunned result they receive that turn. (Edited to clarify the rule and make it a little more useful)
5. Firing Drill - Friendly units within 12" of the avatar may re-roll missed To Hit rolls for shooting. (Edited to clarify the text)
6. Counter Terrorism - No infiltrating units may setup within 18+D6 inches of the avatar or any attached unit, even if they are out of Line of Sight. Any enemy unit that Deep Strikes within 3D6 inches of the avatar or any attached unit must immediately roll on the Deep Strike Mishap Table. (Edited to make this skill even remotely useful)
Back to top Go down
Angelofblades

Angelofblades

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 6:22 pm

Thank you Colby. Those look good, great job!!
Back to top Go down
Peter

Peter

Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 10:06 pm

Due to being in a Corrections Officer Academy, I will have to back out of the 1850 point league. I will have fun playing 2 different games for the campian as being regular IG and Native IG. I will be happy when the new IG codex comes out because I bought alot more TANKS. Twisted Evil I dought I will even have enough time to play the league games since I need to commit myself to getting my piant job done on my army of TANKS and Guard Infantry. I also want to get in the habit of using the new IG codex when it comes out and not be confused with the old codex rules. Out with the old and on with the new. Oh, anybody got an idea on new colors for my IG?
Back to top Go down
Zreggun

Zreggun

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 7:43 am

@Peter -

Sounds good, man. I think if I had to pick one over the other I'd pick the campaign too, but luckily for me I have enough time to do both. Very Happy Besides I can use my Orks for the league and my new IG army for the campaign, so it works out well.

Anyhow, IG colors...

Well, my new army I'm working on is charcoal and dark red with gold trim, so don't steal that! Razz But frankly, you've already got a number of Guardsmen and tanks painted already, so why not continue with the Cadian 8th-esque theme you have going right now? If you want more variety then here's a few suggestions:

- Paint your stormtroopers in a different colour scheme since these guys aren't typically part of a normal IG infantry or armoured company, but rather are attached from the Commissariat, Schola Progentum, or the Inquisition to do special missions. You could do these guys up in urban camo or another camo scheme that's different from the rest of your army, especially if you like to Infiltrate or Outflank with them. If you plan on getting Valkyries or Deep Striking stormies you could do a WW2-esque airborne theme with olive drab and khaki, or maybe a blending on blues/greys. You could also make them more "formal" and give them dressier uniforms like red/black/gold which matches with the Inquisition or the Commissariat.

- If you plan on using Veterans or Penal Legionnaires you can always give them more unique uniforms. Veterans would like be highly camouflaged for whatever environment they're most likely to be fighting in, especially if you use the new "Forward Sentries" Doctrine to give them Stealth and Defensive Grenades. Also don't forget that you can use your Stormtrooper models as Veterans with the "Grenadiers" Doctrine if you still want to use the models but count them as troops.

@Jay -

More thoughts/questions about the campaign:

- If an enemy unit runs off of the board (aka due to shooting casualties or loosing an assault but NOT getting run down), does it count towards "killing an enemy unit" XP?

Suggestion: The last friendly unit to cause a causality towards an enemy unit that runs off of the board gets counted as "destroying" it for XP purposes. So, for example: Enemy Unit A is shot at by 3 friendly units and takes 25% or more casualties. The enemy unit fails their moral test and ends up running off of the table. The last friendly unit out of the three that shot at the enemy units gets the credit for "destroying" the enemy unit.

This way an opponent can't "steal" XP from someone by hoping that their already weakened units run off of the board rather than being truly destroyed.

- If an avatar runs off the board for whatever reason, what happens? Do they count as having died or do they escape and fight in the next battle?

Suggestion: Avatars that end up retreating off the table count as being destroyed as mentioned above (so last friendly unit to cause a casualty to the avatar or the avatar's unit would get credit for the "kill") BUT rather than rolling a D6 to see the severity of the wounds (or to see if the Avatar really Died) they automatically take a Minor Injury (result 2-4). This could represent wounds taken whilst retreating or running off the table only to be captured by an enemy scouting force.

This way we don't run into situations where an avatar "Dies" dies because they were part of a unit that failed a LD test they should of passed and "accidentally" runs off of the table. No wants to have their avatar die because they ran away rather than dying on the field of battle, as it should be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime   Angry Marines Campaign.  Campaign for Tantrum Prime - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Angry Marines Campaign. Campaign for Tantrum Prime
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next